Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Favorite Sundial

I look at a lot of pictures of sundials. Most are esthetically pleasing on some level. Some are more or less original.  This one, however, stands out for me:

It is situated near St. Katherine's Dock in London. It was designed by Wendy Taylor

http://wendytaylorsculpture.co.uk/pages/work2.htm

I wish I could see it with my own eyes. Or any of her work for that matter.
Anyway, it provided an inspiration for my flagship piece. In fact the majority of my equatorial dials are a homage to Ms. Taylor's design.


Here is my attempt to imitate:

I made it in 1994 before I had anywhere near my current level of tooling. I had the face (about 30 cm in diameter) made in a local machine shop, the rest of it was all done by hand. I had a MIG welder in those days which helped a lot. A friend made the wooden plinth for me (no wood lathe either in those days!)

It is the biggest sundial I ever made.

If you want to see some of the others go here:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/crquack

No comments:

Post a Comment